THE FIRST BOOK OF WAAKYE

Hi there!... Namaste!... I am sorry to Say this but I couldn't post my BloggerView this Monday due to....well the person I had wanted to interview couldn't come through but don't despair... Here's a little something I have written to appease you.  It actually started out as a string of status updates and my friends said it was humouros.  I figured it'd be pretty bad if I didn't share with my awesome family here 😊 so here I go...

But quickly,  enough about me, how have you been?πŸ˜†πŸ˜




The sun shone at that time always. Just as it was wont to. And when you were a day student, who commuted from home to school every day, 9 o'clock in the school always found you at the infamous "mini-mart " It was this very particular place that afforded you the chance at the practical application of the various economic theories you had studied in class.

The mini mart at my school had a variety of food for sale but the best ones were always the ones with queues (yes... I too have joined my fair share of queues 😌) .

Mma's waakye also had an endless line of people for that alone was the only sure proof that it was magnificent ...

Let me set the scene of how the waakye queue always played out:
First, you would pick a bowl( they were always too big by the way)  and you would graciously and humbly ask for the last person on the queue whom someone always pointed as standing under a canopy to shield himself(for it was always a guy who was last) from the sun's rays.

Of course he also came and said there were about two other guys behind him already and as for those guys, they were always invisible till the queue got very close to Mma.πŸ˜…
Anyway, you would accept their claims as I said,  humbly and join the queue ...

Some two things were bound to happen once you joined Mma's queue :

1. A girl was going to come along and ask a guy she had recognized in the queue to let her go before him. He would agree and that would be to you one of the greatest temptations to do evil in your entire life for the girl... U see 333...the girl doesn't only buy for herself ooo,  she buys it for about 3 or 4 of her friends who were too "Pooh " to come to the mini-mart themselves.
She'll go like "mma Pls mame Waakye 3,  mame things no nso 1 ,Na mame nantwinam nso 2" Saa 4 times😭

2.  And then after exercising a tremendous amount of patience during the girl's purchase, you would be left in the third position to go and buy your food but right before it's your turn,  a teacher would come to buy some of the food and you see,  mma would ignore you and serve the teacher quick-quick.  She would even take sometime to laugh at his lame jokes.
During that time too, you will remain patient for in time,  the teacher always left and you came face to face with the great Mma !😌

 And then Mma would take your bowl and ask you the amount you were purchasing. After budgeting for the taxi fares in your arrival and return trips to school,  you were always likely to say, " Mma meet) enne nno)ma no 2 cedis😌"

Mma would finish everything and put on your meal a very scanty amount of shito and that too was how you knew her shito was the best (seriously paaaa ....shito takes a long time to cook ooo... so if you're buying some food and the seller dashes u plenty shito aaaa,  that must tell you something πŸ˜‰)

Anyway Mma,  would finish everything and ask you while staring in your hunger-filled eyes
"is that all? "
"No mma, I would like some 10 pieces of nantwinam if they are free" I always replied sarcastically in my head...but in reality, I gulped down the saliva my salivary glands had been stimulated to produce and took my food away to find a bench.

Then once I had sat down and prayed , there began the greatest and beautiful dance I had ever witnessed, in my mouth as the little lettuce leaves held their cabbage comrades in tight embraces .... and swirled and danced along to Splendiferous rhythm that had been created by the exquisite shito juice mashed with the single long grain Savannah rice Mma had cook the waakye with !😍😍
Of course, it wasn't also very long before whatever teacher who was on duty came and drove us helter-skelter back to the classroom for overstaying after the siren had rang.!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚...

*Shito : a pepper dish prepared by overly cooking the pepper along with certain ingredients till the whole mixture turns black. 

* 'mma meet) enne nno)ma no 2 cedis' : Madam please I would like to purchase two cedis 


* the various numerals used in the purchase are currency units.  That is;  2 = 2 cedis  etc. 


*waakye : a Ghanaian meal of cooked rice and beans 

Comments

TRENDING!!!!

UNCHARTED

ETCHED I

Slaying In the Oguaa War: My Secret To A 3.9 GPA